TimelessGaming > General Channel  [Archives]

Welcome To Timeless
Loading ...
Empty the chat input field
Users in the chatbox : user(s)
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: New Homepage

Moderator Achievements:
    Recommendation 2nd ClassTimeless TOP Supporter100 € supported20 Friends10000 Experience PointsTagger 2nd ClassCreated Blog entryCreated Album picturesOverdriveVeteran I (TG over 5 years)
    Chats
    remove the cloud and the Latest Posts to the right.

Instead put something like latest screenshots where 'Latest Posts' are.

The menu for livescoreboard, servers and what not could also be moved further down under the TS. Its a lot of "noise letters" in the eyes of newcomers together with the 'latest posts'.

Simple is good
    #1. Timeless 08 - Metro 24 Player.

Timeless God / Moderator Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entryTimeless Supporter20 € supported20 FriendsVeteran I (TG over 5 years)15000 Experience Points
    where i shouldnt be, doing what i shouldn't be doing
    Chats
    Menu should stay top left
    That's where the help page is

Ideally you should have everything important to a newcomer viewable on clicking onto the homepage
    They dont need to see the server stuff or even half of the announcements
    They need to see
    the top image
    Shoutbox
    Links bar
    Menu
    Welcome text

Anything else can be moved down screen
    Always remember be yourself...
    Unless you can be a pirate
    Then always be a pirate...

"Dax is literally the best person to ever have existed..." (Dax et al 2013)

Dax, P. Ike, A. LordIKE, O, H (2013) The History of Dax, 'why im so very very special', Volume 4. Manchester: The Peter Andre Publishing Company

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bert For This Useful Post:

First Sergeant Achievements:
    Recommendation 2nd Class20 FriendsTagger 2nd ClassYour first Group20 € supportedTimeless Supporter5000 Experience PointsVeteran I (TG over 5 years)
    Chats
    Bert is right. Someone who is new to the sight won't have interest in quite a few things on the home page.

Perhaps we should move the Servers and Articles to their own pages. Add tabs for both on top. And if use the Headlines idea that I suggested earlier, we can still convey the same information on the homepage with much less clutter.
    Taking the road less travelled...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to radical red For This Useful Post:

2nd Lieutenant Achievements:
    Recommendation 1st Class20 Friends20 € supportedTimeless SupporterOverdrive2 years registeredVeteran I (TG over 5 years)10000 Experience Points
    Chats
    I say we cut down on the number of tabs before we add to it. Who actually uses half of those tabs?

OverdriveCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entryTimeless Supporter20 € supported20 FriendsVeteran I (TG over 5 years)15000 Experience Points
    Chats
    3 of them regularly
    Half infrequently
    And the other half virtually never

Dax, P. Ike, A. LordIKE, O, H (2013) The History of Dax, 'why im so very very special', Volume 4. Manchester: The Peter Andre Publishing Company

Administrator Achievements:
    Recommendation 1st ClassCreated Album picturesTagger 1st Class15000 Experience Points20 FriendsTimeless Master SupporterVeteran I (TG over 5 years)Overdrive300 € supported
    Chats
    hellooo ?????

ya all feel bored? ya dont have to do other things? like filling servers
    this thread isnt called "i wish something"

thx for all your ideas, but i wont change the site only that new guests or new members can handle it.
    as i said already, the new ones are not that unskilled as ya think
    when i compare our with other websites, our is still structured and we not runing much addons.
    i think, after 2 days also the biggest complete nooblet can deal with our website.

alright, to your ideas:
    then make the text different colours
    the welcome message could be all blue
    and the other announcements could be
    orange etc with a red emphasis if needed
    i dont want, that our website looks like a colour box
    as ya can see we only using 4 colors
    white: normal text
    blue: article titel, links, more highlighted as white
    orange: headlines, highlighted stuff
    red: important stuff

I can turn the welcome message into a picture with a different background colour
    normaly a good idea, bert
    thats what i am talking about! not only talking about an idea, also got a solution for it, thx
    for the php code, but ya gave yourself the answer already:
    the only issue with this is that an image is scalable so will get cut off if the user makes the
    window smaller. a lot peeps will get probs with the site, like niii, he only got an 11" screen lol

I have an idea. The articles below the Welcome article, what if we remove them, and replace them with a single box called Headlines, which will just have the title.
    For example
    Timeless 07 goes first in the world
    Timeless 09/10 - Joke Servers
    Donation reports 2011/03
    NEW Timeless Server
    Donation Report
    Each with a link to the related article. That would significantly reduce the clutter.
    We could even have this a scrolling marquee on top, then it would easily get attention, and we can use it in case we want to get a message across to our members.
    Perhaps we should move the Servers and Articles to their own pages. Add tabs for both on top. And if use the Headlines idea that I suggested earlier, we can
    still convey the same information on the homepage with much less clutter.
    fyi, the website isnt a simple html site, its an system, a lot of things runs
    automaticly and we couldnt change. when we create an new article it also create autom.
    an thread in the forum.
    what we can do, is reduce the number of the articles from 7 to 4
    the idea of the front page and article is, to give our memebers the newest important infos.
    also shows the site as active, i would wish, that more peeps writing some intersting articles
    (shows at moderators), about new game, bf updates,... but looks like they spend there
    time to disturb me btw all members can write news in the forum which we can
    promote to an article.

how about only having one article for the donation reports?
    there should be some way of doing that
    sure we can, but i dont want. this guys who donate for timeless deserve nornaly
    more then this.

smaller donation box, updated with, say, the 10 latest donors.
    good idea, would be an additional option

Another suggestion I have is regarding the Forum Last Post box. Don't we already see the latest posts next to the chatbox?
    So if my assumption that they both show the same information is correct, I think the Last Post box is redundant, and we could do away with it.
    some like the latest posts showing in the shout box, some in the forum last post.
    for a quick info i always check the forum last post, because i only see the newest threads.
    when i wanna see who answered in this threads i check the shout box. the only issue in the
    forum last post is, that all can see the threads even they dont have the permission to read it.
    i dont find any other addon for it yet.

remove the cloud and the Latest Posts to the right.
    remove? sounds good, ya can remove your double post

Instead put something like latest screenshots where 'Latest Posts' are.
    here ya can search for it: www.vbulletin.org, when ya find a good addon, lemme know.

Ideally you should have everything important to a newcomer viewable on clicking onto the homepage
    They need to see
    the top image
    Shoutbox
    Links bar
    Menu
    Welcome text
    Anything else can be moved down screen
    i dont see any difrent on our site right now, all things are on the top anything else down

i am wondering why ya dont talk about the "latest video" ?
    we runing this addon since 1.2011 and i see only 18 videos in it, we still need it?

maybe we should think about how we can get more members on our website first, before we
    assume they couldnt handle it

thx again for all your ideas

29/04/2045 18:49 <Goatlord> @Archade, admins are in gold, ubers in orange and uberultrasexmachines in Faceless' colour.
    30/05/2010 17:35 <kurk_will_mutiny> Faceless, kick someone so I can grace the server with my brilliance.
    24/08/2010 23:56 <Dax> im me, theres not much more to say, forum mod, server admin, alround awesome person

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Faceless For This Useful Post:

Administrator Achievements:
    Recommendation 1st ClassCreated Album picturesTagger 1st Class15000 Experience Points20 FriendsTimeless Master SupporterVeteran I (TG over 5 years)Overdrive300 € supported
    Chats
    ohhhh i forgot,

i got all your points and i will think about how we can make that stuff better

thx again for all ya ideas, i hope i dont discourage you

29/04/2045 18:49 <Goatlord> @Archade, admins are in gold, ubers in orange and uberultrasexmachines in Faceless' colour.
    30/05/2010 17:35 <kurk_will_mutiny> Faceless, kick someone so I can grace the server with my brilliance.
    24/08/2010 23:56 <Dax> im me, theres not much more to say, forum mod, server admin, alround awesome person

Chats
    FaceSpam......

I've been trying to see if there is any way to sort that welcome message image
    I will get back to you with some options

Oh and talking of vids I havnt looked at the media section at all
    Can we host x-fire vids on there?

They need to see
    the top image
    Shoutbox
    Links bar
    Menu
    Welcome text....
    i dont see any difrent on our site right now, all things are on the top anything else down
    Ahhhh yes I see what you mean
    Last edited by Bert; 13-04-2011 at 17:02.